1. Meaning of statistics, a historical note, statistics in matters of state, statistics and the social sciences, limitations of statistics. Individual and character, types of data, collection of data, tabulation of data, diagrammatic representation of data. Summarization of data: frequency table, diagrammatic representation of a frequency distribution – column diagram, frequency polygon, histogram. Cumulative frequency diagram; step diagram, Ogive.
2. Measures of central tendency – mean, median, mode, quartiles.
3. Measures of dispersion – range, mean duration, standard duration, quartile duration, mean difference and Genius coefficient. Coefficient of variation.
4. Correlation: Scatter diagram, product moment correlations coefficient, Spearman’s rank correlation coefficient (bivariate case) calculation of multiple correlation coefficient in the case of two explanatory variables.
5. Bivariate Regression. Application of regression analysis in trend fitting. Fitting of multiple regressions in the case of two explanatory variables. Time series and forecasting.
6. Index Number
- Teacher: Jotindra Nath Roul